I love a touch of greenery in my home. Whether it’s a topiary or a few oversized leaves, it doesn’t take much to add personality and soul. This time of year, I have the urge to pare down, toss out brittle pine boughs, pack away the Christmas decorations and start fresh.
Here are a few reasons why you need plants in your home.
1. Ficus trees are on Canadian House and Home’s must have list this year.
We’re not talking about spider plants in macrame hangers. Plants today are “sculptural and modern.” They command attention in a room.
Interior Designer Grant Gibson didn’t let the size of his apartment deter him from featuring a towering fiddleleaf fig tree near the bay window. It seems to be straining to check out the view.
2. Plants are natural beauties. They come in all shapes and sizes.
In this family room by Calgary interior design firm McIntyre Bills, the addition of the oversized plant provides the finishing touch. It complements the natural colour scheme.
3. Plants help detoxify our homes. They literally clean the air we breathe.
4. They last so much longer than flowers! More bang for your decorating buck.
These enormous topiaries make a statement in this McIntyre Bills designed kitchen.
5. Plants look amazing alone or in multiples!
Here’s another stunning room from McIntyre Bills.
I hope this inspires you to make plants part of your home.
Have a very Happy New Year!